Dr. Shai Cohen
Born in Haifa (1968) working as a teacher, composer and jazz performer. Cohen composes symphonic music, chamber music, electronic music, and music for solo instruments. Cohen's music has been performed by musicians and ensembles like SNU Symphony Orchestra (Korea), the Moscow Contemporary Music Ensemble (Moscow), members of the BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra (Scotland), Tokyo National University of Fine Arts and Music (Japan), T'ang Quartet (Singapore), St Andrews New Music Ensemble (Scotland), Ensemble Kaprizma (Israel), Israel Contemporary Players, the Arab & Jewish ensembles of the Israeli Philharmonic Orchestra, The Tel-Aviv Soloists Ensemble, The Israel Kibbutz Orchestra, Israel Sinfonietta orchestra of Beer-Sheva and many others.
Cohen's music has been performed at events including "ACL Asian Contemporary Music Festival" (2003/Japan, 2009/Korea, 2012/Israel, 2013/Singapore), ISCM, contemporary music festival "Moscow Autumn" (2006), "Aberdeen Music Prize" (2011), 34th Annual "Bowling Green New Music Festival" (2013), "Israeli Music Festival" (2004, 2012).
- Echoes of Eternity, Fantasia for violin solo and orchestra (2006)
- DSCH, for chamber orchestra (2006)
- 2 Ladino Songs, for small orchestra with ethnic vocals (2004)
- Enchanted Morning, concerto for flute, harp, perc and string orchestra (2005)
- Capture, for chamber orchestra tape and live electronics (2009)
- Seven flashes of thoughts, Fantasia for orchestra (2011
- Sketch for a Self Portrait, concerto for clarinet and orchestra (2004)
- And the echo died away, for string orchestra and vocals (2013) commissioned by Tel Aviv soloist ensemble,
- Conductor Barak Tal, Soprano, Hadas Faran-Asia, Mezzo-soprano, Shahar Lavi. Poems by: Leah Goldberg and Rachel Bluwstein.
- Ragnarok, for large ensemble. Commissioned by Sally Beamish and The University of St Andrews Music Centre (2013).
- Shochenet Basade, for Bigband, Ethnic soloist singer, Choir and Oud. Israeli Music Festival (2012), Duration: 6:33"
- Narrative Enigma, for viola solo and ensemble (2015), commissioned by Ensemble Meitar, conducted by Pierre-André Valade,
- viola solo Moshe Aharonov. Premiere at the center for new music, Tel Aviv, Tel-Aviv.
- Mistorin, for accordion duo (2014), commissioned by Duo Furioso: Mirko Jevtović and Nikolina Furić. Premiere in Slovenia.
- Mipnej Mah?, for violin, clarinet, cello and piano (2014), based on themes from J. Engel, op. 35, Hadibuk. Premiered at Levinsky College of Education.
- Apsis, for Piccolo, Baritone Sax and Tuba (2013), Performed by Noa Even, Elise Roy, Mary MacKinnon, USA.
- Hkafil, for string trio and flute (2004)
- Association - quartet for tenor sax, accordion, vibraphone and contrabass (2002)
- Collective Memory septet for perc, ney flute, Arabic violin, ud, flute, violin, bass (2004)
- Shadows of Mind, music for jazz quintet (2003)
- From earth to wind, for solo accordion and narrator (2004)
- Games, Songs and Dances, for Violin, Clarinet, Cello and Piano (2005)
- Second Sight, for piano, vibraphone, bass, cello, accordion and 2 vocals, (2004)
- Invitation, Duet for cello and piano (2004)
- Radical Daily Reflection, trio for violin clarinet and piano (2006)
- Circles of Time for Trumpet string quartet (2011)
- Nuance for harp solo, (2009)
- Second Message from Dmitri, Quintet for Piano and Strings
- Liminal Experiences, for ensemble (2011) Duration: 7”
- Piano's symposium, for 2 piano's (2003
- Duet for Sax and Piano (2002
- Schizophrenia, Duet for Alto Sax and Marimba (2011)
- On another note, (collage of stories), Quartet for soprano sax, vibraphone, piano and contrabass (2012)
- Chronicles skip the Circumstances for Marimba solo (2012)
- A Butterfly Flaps its Wings.... for string trio Arabic ud and live electronics (2004) Duration: 7"
- I have outlived the night, for mezzo‐soprano, digital narrator and double projectors (2014), commissioned by Angelica Cathariou, Performed in Greek.
- Variation on an old Story, For Violin, soundtrack and live electronics (2014), Premiered Cordelia Hagmann at HaTeiva, Tel Aviv - Jaffa.
- The double, music for flute and processed flute (2003) premiered in Bar-ilan University.
- A Tale of Nature, for Solo electric guitar and triggered-tape (2011) commissioned by Nico Couck Duration: 6"
- 14 Sequenza, for computer in memorial of Luciano Berio (2003) Duration: 10”
- Spring is here, electronic composition after Le Sacre du printemps (2001) Duration: 11”
- Sax Metamorphose, for soprano sax and live electronics (2003) Duration: 8”
- pANIkA, for ensemble and electronics (supercollider). Commission by: Ensemble Meitar (2012).
- Real-Time Music Composition With colors and movements tracking (2008) a project in memorial of Yossi Banai, Duration: Free”
- Boundaries for violin solo and real-time graphics control sound processing, inspired by short story of Jorge Luis Borges
- Music for documentary film wins Haifa international film festival (2005)
- Composition in the Digital era
- Acoustics and Instrumentation
- Audio Synthesis
- Advanced Studio Recording
- Live Electronics Workshop
- Arduino Workshop
- Max/msp - Music Composition & Algorithms
- Sound Engineering and Audio Applications
- Music Cognition
Software - Max/msp/Jitter, Matlab, Praat, Scala, supecollider, ableton
Music Composition, Music technology, Computer Arts, Improvisation